Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A new career as a barber...

So when I was driving into work today I was trying to decide what I wanted to write about today. I was thinking about writing about April Fools day jokes that I had heard about or been a part of, but none of this gave me inspiration. Then an experience I had last night popped into my head. Last night I cut my son’s hair for the first time. That is not to say that my son’s hair had never been cut but I have never done it myself.

On the way home from work I looked at Ben in the rearview mirror in my car and realized that he really needed a haircut. Last summer we gave him a buzz cut cause he has such think hair and I don’t want to him to get to hot. So I decided cause it was getting that time again that we would buzz his hair. Then in my mind I was trying to decide when I had time to take him to the hair salon. It then occurred to me that I could cut his hair. I mean my stepmother use to cut my brother’s hair, how hard could it be. So when I got home I talked my husband in to going to the store with me, and buying a set of good clippers (which were on sale for $14, and that is a $1 more than a hair cut for little Ben). When we all got home little Ben made it clear that he did not trust me with the clippers but I bribed him with a brownie. So into the shower my son goes with only his underwear on. I put the #1 setting on the clippers and my husband freaks out telling me that will be way to short (this is my first time with clippers, how was I to know). So he tells me to start with 5 (way to long) I try the 4 still to long and finally we settle on 3. Then the fun begins after 20 minutes my son is done being patient my husband is trying to be a perfectionist around the ears and at the back of the neck. They are both yelling at each other and my son picks-up a big chunk of his hair and throw it at my husbands face. I dissolve in laughter and my son crawls into my lap, a safe haven from his father. Needless to say that was the end of the haircut. For the most part his hair looks good. Around the ears isn’t great but otherwise I feel good about it. And if I use the clippers one more time I will have saved money.

I want to cut my husbands hair but he won’t let me. I am thinking since he is such a heavy sleeper that if I get the clippers out while he is sleeping and do one buzz down the middle of his head then he will have to let me do his whole head. We’ll see….


Rest In Peace Fr. Lester Mitchell- You have served the Lord well, now it is your time to go home and rest. Smile down on you Brother Friars and know that you are loved by many.

1 comments:

Christine said...

When DJ and I were first married we were so poor that even an 8$ hair cut was out of the question, so my mom bought us some clippers and I cut his hair for about a year. I was always more nervous then him for sure =)